This is the archive of the original tigtogblog

tigtog now posts at the new and improved Hoyden About Town. She also blogs at Larvatus Prodeo and Finally A Feminism 101 Blog. If the new Hoydenspace is down you should find updates below.

Posts begin below the Feed Modules from the blogs named above.

Hoyden About Town

Latest Posts from Finally, A Feminism 101 Blog

2006-07-22

Weekend flashback: 70s scifi boots

This is a shot from the 1974 John Boorman directed film Zardoz, which is apparently an achievement in the annals of bad cinema surpassed only by such dys-masterpieces as Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and the Ed Wood ouvre.

I have to admit, dressing the Connery in an orange nappy and fake ponytail seems likely to doom the film irredeemably - what were they thinking?

Rather like the boots though.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just wow. He was really trying to get away from Bond, wasn't he?

And Charlotte Rampling, too? That's just sad.

Matilda said...

I've gotta stand up for my boy Ed: He would NEVER have put Connery in an orange pull-up with bandoliers. A tasteful, tangerine marabou bed jacket, sure, but never the orange pull-up.

tigtog said...

You're so right, Matilda. Keep the boots, add the marabou bed jacket and finish it off with a thigh high matching kilt. Anyone would go and see that movie!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the flying head they lived in.

I do not lie.

tigtog said...

I know you don't, my bashful friend.

And what Connery is wearing is apparently the official uniform of the elite warrior-assassins? Riiiiiiiight.

I really have to find this and see it.

TimT said...

I always remember from my kindergarten/Year 1 days, the Aborigines were portrayed in red loincloths, such as the above.

I've seen Zardoz, good film, if you're into weird 1970s sci-fi. John Boorman's Excalibur is my favourite-est movie, which is the reason why I snapped up the Zardoz DVD. It's plot is a little similar to Aeon Flux, being about a savage who breaks into a secluded paradise of 'immortals'. Connery is the savage; the red loincloth kind of identifies him in this way. It gets all weird and psychedelic at the end, but it goes some interesting places before that.