This is the archive of the original tigtogblog

tigtog now posts at the new and improved Hoyden About Town. She also blogs at Larvatus Prodeo and Finally A Feminism 101 Blog. If the new Hoydenspace is down you should find updates below.

Posts begin below the Feed Modules from the blogs named above.

Hoyden About Town

Latest Posts from Finally, A Feminism 101 Blog

2006-04-29

Belated Friday Random 10 - First Ever iPod edition

So Mr Tog is the best spouse ever, and got me a video iPod for my anniversary gift. So far only have 129 songs on it, but ripping some Nick Cave as I write. Now I can join all the other bloggers copying Lauren of Feministe's pop culture meme, although I fear I fall far short of the IMS standard regarding my playlist.

1. Like Someone in Love - Bjork
2. You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman - Aretha Franklin
3. All Things Dull and Ugly - Monty Python
4. Hot Patootie Bless My Soul - Rocky Horror Picture Show
5. MLF Lullaby - Tom Lehrer
6. I've Got An Angel - Eurythmics
7. Save Me - Aretha Franklin
8. Baby I Love You - Aretha Franklin
9. A New England - Billy Bragg
10. Solar Plexus Kick - Switchblade Kittens

The new iPod seems a bit heavy on the Aretha love, although obviously it is simply not possible to have too much Aretha, so I forgive it. It's probably an artifact of having uploaded Aretha's 30 Greatest Hits, so I simply have more Aretha than anyone else at the moment.

I was discussing music with my 18 year-old niece yesterday, and that my "problem with music today" is I really like vocalists, being one myself, so that I tend to like music made by people who can sing, or at least who have good singers in the lineup. I'll forgive sufficiently satirical singer/performers some vocal shortcomings if they're clever enough, and I have a lingering affection for the hardly renowned for vocal subtleties punk genre, but I find few new performers fit my tastes in the contemporary charts.

I loathe the poptarts who overornament with insane trills in order to hide that they're unable to hit a note cleanly, but I admire vocalists who play around with vocals-as-instrument, like Laurie Anderson or Bjork. And since seeing her most recent video-clips I'm gonna have to get me some P!nk, because the other thing I largely can't stand in the contemporary scene is that the lyrics are inane vanillaheteroconsumeristpap or else misogynist crud, both of which drive me insane.

Now where did I put that Peggy Lee CD?

No comments: