This is the archive of the original tigtogblog

tigtog now posts at the new and improved Hoyden About Town. She also blogs at Larvatus Prodeo and Finally A Feminism 101 Blog. If the new Hoydenspace is down you should find updates below.

Posts begin below the Feed Modules from the blogs named above.

Hoyden About Town

Latest Posts from Finally, A Feminism 101 Blog

2006-04-04

What's better than

going to see the anarchic stylings of a surreal, almost dadaist, comedian in the art-deco surrounds of the Enmore Theatre?

Seeing the anarchic stylings of a surreal, almost dadaist, comedian whacked out of his brain on horse-tranquiliser strength painkillers after his motorbike accident, that's what. Imagine the strangest scenario you can involving Stevie Wonder and female lobster groupies - I guarantee that Ross Noble is weirder than you.

felabilongtigtog and I had been looking forward to Ross Noble's show for quite some weeks, having enjoyed his stints on ABC-TV's Spicks and Specks immensely. We knew we'd have a good time, but we didn't think we would actually laugh until we cried.

Poor Ross showed the X-ray of his dislocated shoulder before it was fixed up - it appears to be a rotated and impacted fracture of the humeral head, distally displaced approximately 8 cm so his rotator cuff will have been torn to buggery. I think this is the worst humeral fracture-dislocation I've ever seen - it'll probably end up in textbooks. I'm impressed that he only cancelled one show.

He's on for the rest of the week as part of the Cracker Comedy Festival. Catch him if you can.

We're going to see another weird comedian from the British Isles later this month - Dylan Moran. Will he make us cry laughing too?

4 comments:

Blue said...

I heard Ross on the Radio talking about the accident - was laughing so hard.

I wish I could get to the show.

Enjoy Dylan - I've only ever seen him on TV - but he was hilarious.

tigtog said...

Apparently Ross is living in Oz most of the year now, having been snagged by a dinky-di temptress. So I'm sure he'll be touring your way sometime later this year.

It was a great show - he obviously had a loose spine of prepared routines but he improvised around them and especially in the first half appeared to go off-script entirely for quite long periods of utter mayhem. I've seen a lot of comedy and a lot of impro, so I'm a bit hard to impress these days, but one has to hand it to anyone who can actually make one cough and splutter while the tears roll down one's cheeks.

Anonymous said...

I heard Dylan on the radio this morning. He gave Fran Kelly a hard time...it was very entertaining. She sounded a bit miffed.

Enjoy your blog...it's changed my perception of physios as merely being bluff sporty people!

tigtog said...

I've heard Dylan on the radio a bit this week too, although not the interview with Fran. He's amazingly dry, which can be hard to deal with for an interviewer.

As to the other: I'm a lapsed physio, elsewhere - I got better!

A lot of physios are bluff sporty people, but a lot are people who just don't want to work in an office. That was the reason I ended up in the field.

I would hazard that the main characterist most physios have in common is a strong pragmatic streak. That and the bossiness.